The Town of Great Pond, Maine, was incorporated in 1981. Previously it had been known as Plantation 33, an unorganized territory. The Town has a town meeting form of government with a Board of Selectmen. The town has blueberry land, acres of wooded areas, geological wonders left by the glaciers that once covered the landscape, and six beautiful lakes and ponds. There are many hunting, fishing and summer camps in addition to the year-round residences.
Joshua Williams, a veteran of the Revolutionary War, and his family came to the area to settle in 1805. Joshua was already in his later years. His sons and son-in-law built a sturdy cabin on the upslope of the Union River and began to clear the land of big pine and boulders in order to farm. Life was hard and demanded perseverance and strong devotion.